Druckansicht der Internetadresse:

Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences

Master African Studies: Critical Perspectives on Society, Politics, Culture

Print page


General Information

When does the program start?Hide

The M.A. in African Studies: Critical Perspectives on Society, Politics, Culture can only be started in the winter semester (mid of October). The exact date will be in your admission letter. You can also find the official start of the lecture period (called “Vorlesungsbeginn” in German) here.

Are there any tuition fees for this programme? Hide

There are no tuition fees for this study programme. However, in Germany, students at all higher education institutions must pay a semester contribution. This payment (at the University of Bayreuth: about 140 EUR per semester) has nothing to do with tuition fees; rather, it covers your contributions to student services and the student government. At the University of Bayreuth, it includes a "semester ticket" that allows you to use public transport in the region and entitles you to eat at reduced prices in the university canteen. More information can be found here.

Where is Bayreuth and what can I do there in my leisure time? Hide

Bayreuth is the capital of the Upper Franconia (Oberfranken), a picturesque region located in the Free State of Bavaria, Germany. It is also the home of the classical music composer Richard Wagner and the corresponding world-famous festival. With more than 13,000 students at UBT – many of them from foreign countries - Bayreuth hosts a fairly active nightlife and many recreational opportunities for young people. Nearby are the ‘Fränkische Schweiz’ (Franconian Switzerland) and the Fichtel Mountains, which are great spots for outdoor activities like rock climbing, hiking, skiing, road and mountain biking, or kayaking. The city of Nuremberg is only an hour away.

Admission Requirements

What type of bachelor degree is required for application? Hide

A bachelor’s degree is required in a social sciences-, humanities-, or history-oriented degree programme with a grade of “2.5” or better.

Do I need to speak German to attend this programme? Hide

All courses are taught exclusively in English. In addition to your knowledge of English (level B2), you must also prove your knowledge of German for daily life (level A1). If you have no knowledge of German at the time of your application, you have the option of turning this in by the end of the 2nd semester. German courses are offered at the University of Bayreuth's Language Centre. More language courses in Bayreuth can be found through the IIK or the Volkshochschule. We strongly recommend to our international students to start with the language classes as soon as possible. In some cases, you might be able to take the first German classes at your current location even before coming to Bayreuth.

What proof of English language skills is required? Hide

English skills must be proven at the level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Ideally, proof is provided by submitting a recognised language test:

  • IELTS: 7.0 or better

  • Cambridge: Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)

  • TOEFL: 95 or better

Applicants from countries where English is clearly the first language and main language of instruction at school/university are excluded from this requirement (e.g., Australia, Canada, Ghana, Ireland, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States, etc). If in doubt, please write an email to the Programme Director.

Is my grade equivalent to 2.5 or better on the German grading scale? Hide

Your grades have to be transferred into the German grading system. This will be checked based on your formal application and the documents provided by you. The German grading system distinguishes four performance levels of successful graduates. Mark 1 is the best whereas 4 indicates that the candidate passed but with great difficulties.

I am just finishing my degree and do not have the certificate yet. What should I do? Hide

Please submit your official transcript of records showing that you have completed at least 150 ECTS credits. If you can obtain a confirmation of your university that you have completed your coursework and are waiting for your certificate, you may also submit this as an additional document. The Bachelor certificate must then be submitted by the end of the first semester at the latest.

How many ECTS credits are required for application? Hide

Applicants must hold an official transcript of records (including subjects and grades) showing that they have completed at least 150 ECTS credits.


When is the application deadline? Hide

The application period ends for international students on 15 July.

Applicants from outside the EU who have obtained their degree abroad have to upload the application documents also via uni-assist and undergo a fee-based special procedure. Please apply for your VPD (preliminary review documentation) via uni-assist as early as possible (at least 6-8 weeks before the application deadline for the desired degree programme at the University of Bayreuth).

For more information, please visit our Applications and Admissions site.

Do I have to apply online? Hide

Yes, please use the following link: https://campusonline.uni-bayreuth.de/ubto/webnav.ini. A submission of printed (certified) copies by mail is not necessary. Hard/Printed copies which are sent by mail or email are not accepted and cannot be returned.

Could you help me with my application in CAMPUSonline? Hide

A brief application guide can be found here. For all other technical problems (unusual error messages, page cannot be loaded, etc.) with CAMPUSonline, please contact the CM Help Team.

Do I have to request my VPD (Preliminary Review Documentation) via uni-assist? Hide

Applicants from outside the EU who have obtained their Bachelor degree abroad have to upload their application documents via uni-assist and undergo a fee-based special procedure.

You can find the relevant information about the document checking process here.

In the following cases, an application via uni-assist is not necessary:

  • You have a German, EU, EEA or Swiss citizenship

  • You are already enrolled as a student at the University of Bayreuth

  • You have already obtained your entrance qualification for master's programmes (usually your first degree) at an accredited university in Germany

  • Requesting a VPD via uni-assist alone does not qualify as an application for a degree programme at the University of Bayreuth. An application via CAMPUSonline is always necessary. 

Do I need a VPD if I am already studying in Germany? Hide

If you have acquired your higher education entrance qualification in a non-EU country, you must request a VPD via uni-assist. Since the admission criteria may vary from university to university, it is imperative that the higher education entrance qualification of each applicant be checked, regardless of whether he or she has already been enrolled at a German university.

Exception: A VDP is not required if you have already obtained your entrance qualification for master’s programmes (usually your first degree) at an accredited university in Germany.

When do I have to request my VPD via uni-assist? Hide

Please request your VPD (preliminary review documentation) as early as possible (at least 6-8 weeks before the application deadline for the desired degree programme at the University of Bayreuth). We can only accept your VPD if it has been issued for an application to the University of Bayreuth. You can have your documents reviewed by uni-assist any time of the year. If the portal for the desired semester has not yet been opened at uni-assist, simply select the current semester. It does not matter whether you apply for the summer or the winter semester at uni-assist. Please note, however, that the application deadline at the University of Bayreuth (15 July) must be met. Your VPD will remain valid for one year.

I have already completed a master's degree. Should I submit the master's certificate as well? Hide

It is not mandatory to submit the master's certificate. However, we strongly recommend enclosing it, as it represents a valuable piece of information for our selection committee and might prove the information about your master's study in your CV.

Are M.A. courses from other post-graduate programmes transferable? Hide

The transfer of courses from other master's progammes is possible if the courses are equivalent with regard to content and workload (according to European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System = ECTS points) to courses taught in this M.A. Programme. You need to provide a description of the course. The grade will be transferred into the German grading system. Contact the programme director for further advice

Information for newly admitted students

I have recently been admitted. What is the next step? Hide

Please open your CAMPUSonline account and accept the study place. After accepting the "study place" (which means to accept admission), you will find in the self-service portal the application for enrolment and a list of documents that need to be submitted for enrolment.  Please note that students must be registered for compulsory insurance in the German public health insurance system.  You can find more information about compulsory insurance here.

What is the enrolment deadline at the University of Bayreuth? Hide

The enrolment deadline is usually 28 September of each year, but we recommend enrolling as quickly as possible as you need access to the online services and classes before lectures begin in the middle of October. For exact dates, please check the current academic schedule here (“Immatrikulation” is Enrolment in German, “Vorlesungsbeginn” is the beginning of the lecture period in German).

Can I send my enrolment documents by e-mail? Hide

We are sorry, but this is not possible.  Please send all required documents by post to the address provided on the enrolment application form or drop your documents in the mailbox at the office door of the Student Administration Office (room 1.09, ZUV building, Universitätsstraße 30, 95447 Bayreuth). Detailed information on the enrolment process can be found on the website of the student administration office.

Where can I find information about the visa application procedure? Hide

Click here to find detailed information about visa requirements for your country and tips on applying for a visa.

Where can I find information about scholarships? Hide

There is no general M.A. scholarship programme available from the University of Bayreuth. International students may apply for an educational grant at UBT’s International Office. For a detailed description of scholarship opportunities, please visit their website. You may find other possible scholarships on the website of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

Where can I find information concerning my arrival from abroad? Hide

The University of Bayreuth’s International Office provides detailed information about arriving in Germany and Bayreuth, including accommodation, enrolment, visa, and many more topics.

Webmaster: Univ.Prof.Dr. Jana Hönke

Facebook Twitter Youtube-Kanal Instagram LinkedIn UBT-A Contact