Application & Admission
Requirements for the admission to the study programme are:
- A bachelor’s degree in a social sciences-, humanities-, or history-oriented degree programme with a final grade of “2.5” or better.
- a language certificate ENGLISH level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- a language certificate GERMAN level A1 of the CEFR; can be obtained during the first year of the programme.
If you have questions about the application and requirements, see also the Frequently Asked Questions.
The application process starts at March 1 (for the winter semester) via CAMPUSonline. As support we have developed a handbook for the application via CAMPUSonline. After registration, the required documents can be uploaded in CAMPUSonline via the link Bewerbung / Application.
Applicants from outside the EU who have obtained their degree abroad have to upload the application documents also via uni-assist and undergo a fee-based special procedure. Please apply for your VPD (preliminary review documentation) via uni-assist as early as possible (at least 6-8 weeks before the application deadline for the desired degree programme at the University of Bayreuth). We can only accept your VPD if it has been issued for an application to the University of Bayreuth. You can have your documents reviewed by uni-assist any time of the year. If the portal for the desired semester has not yet been opened at uni-assist, simply select the current semester. It does not matter whether you apply for the summer or the winter semester at uni-assist.
Please note, however, that the application deadline at the University of Bayreuth (15 July) must be met. Your VPD will remain valid for one year. Applicants can find the relevant information for the document checking process here.
For the upload in CAMPUSonline, you need the following documents:
- a motivation letter
- a curriculum vitae
- a certificate of general university entrance qualification* (copy - an official certification is not necessarily needed for the application process, but has to be handed in at latest for the enrolment)
- a language certificate ENGLISH level B2
- a language certificate GERMAN level A1 (can be obtained during the first year of the programme)
- academic qualification:
- a bachelor certificate including academic transcript (copy - an official certification is not necessarily needed for the application process, but has to be handed in at latest at the end of the first semester) or
- in case you have not received your bachelor certificate yet: an official transcript of records (including subjects and grades) that shows that you have successfully completed modules of in total at least 150 ECTS credits with an estimated final grade corresponding to "2.5" or better on the German grading system and in addition an informal list of modules for which no evidence of performance exists yet (in this case, the relevant degree certificate has to be submitted by the end of the first semester of study)
Depending on the country in which you acquired your previous education certificates, you may have to submit additional documents. You can find an overview of country-specific additional documents here.
* The "certificate of general university entrance qualification" means a document that allows you to enrol in a University, usually a high school diploma (equivalent to the German "Abitur", containing subjects and grades) and/ or a university entrance test.
Application deadline for each winter semester: July 15
Start of the lectures: mid October